Week-by-Week Recap of Welcome Summer Project

As you may know, during the month of May and the beginning of June I worked my Welcome Summer project - running Facebook Ads for a local businesses’ event. Below is my workflow for each of those weeks and what I learned.

Week 1

Accomplished:

  • Researched extensively into Facebook Ads targeting strategies and event ads.

  • Met with the owner of Diving Cat Studio Gallery, Markels, and brainstormed possibilities for running ads for the studio. As they were undergoing a website revamp, she decided she would like to focus on ads that drive traffic to the store rather than her website or email newsletter. From this, we came up with the idea to run a Welcome Summer event celebrating the kick-off of summer plus the studio’s 11th anniversary.

  • Created the Facebook Event and created a tutorial on how to do so on my blog.

  • Designed and built all elements of the first round of Facebook Ads.

  • Created social media posts through Canva for Diving Cat’s Instagram and Facebook.

  • Communicated with Diving Cat’s social media manager on publishing the posts and requested notification about the event go out via their email newsletter.

Learned:

  • Immediately I ran into a speed bump - the ads were not delivering even though Facebook’s status said “Active.” The Ad had been approved, the budget was generous, and all images complied with the 20% rule. Even though the owner had never run ads previously, I decided to do some troubleshooting into the account settings. Sure enough, the maximum spend for the account was set to $0.60. This hurdle was a reminder to troubleshoot in unexpected areas.

  • I also learned in depth about targeting Facebook Ads through my research.

Week 2

Accomplished:

  • Communicated and update Markels about the status of the ads as well as suggesting a raffle at the event to track attendance.

  • Continued communication with the social media manager.

Learned:

  • Learned the importance of variation in targeting throughout an ads campaign.

  • Gained knowledge of the average cost per response based on my targeting.

  • Learning to create valuable, informative tutorials without overwhelming the reader with too much information or leaving it too sparse.


Week 3

Accomplished:

  • Continued analyzing previous ad sets.

  • Created a new, final, and broad ad set.

  • Assessed budget and optimized to lower costs by broadening targeting.

  • Tested Facebook’s boosting feature against my Ads.

  • Blogged the following: Split Testing 101 and Welcome Summer Project Synopsis

Learned:

  • Broadening Facebook Ads to strictly location can be a valuable strategy for maximum exposure of a local event.

Week 4-5

Accomplished:

  • Prepped for the event through communication with the social media manager and the owner.

  • Attended the event and tracked attendance through the raffle. There is only one entrance to the studio, so I set up a table at the door and welcomed each person and asked if they would like to enter the raffle. I also kept a running total of people who did not want to enter the raffle, but still went to the event. At the end of the night, I counted up the entered raffle tickets as well as the total of people who did not enter to get an idea of attendance.

Learned:

  • The attendance was outstanding for a Sunday night but I kept in mind to run a similar event on a Saturday night in the future. The owner initial choose the date as  “after event” to a street festival earlier in the afternoon that day.

Overall, Welcome Summer was a successful project yielding great results as well building and solidifying my experience in Facebook Ads. To see the result of the ads click here (coming soon).

Kayla SanoyComment